Tuesday, January 18, 2005

What are you tired of seeing in most MMORPG's?

I posted this on the Vanguard forums a few days ago, but felt it was worth noting here. Who knows, maybe someone will reply. So, as most of you know, there's some shit your fed up with the genre, lack of customer service, the same fuckin spells and classes, there is always something for us jaded gamers to piss on.

I'm tired of the lack of interaction between the environment and myself. This is why I loved zones like the original plane of mischief. This zone was a true masterpiece for its time, different and unique it offered another type of interaction other than kill, kill, kill!

I want to be able to pick up rocks and throw them or cut back bushes and discover a hidden cave. I want to place a bomb next to a structure and have it take damage, or even climb a tree and collect apples. I don't need to interact with every single object in the world, but even just a few things can go a long way (like pom did for example) The great thing is the technology is getting there, so I think we will be seeing more of this. (even just sitting in chairs and harvesting nodes/herbs is a step in the right direction!)

I'm tired of the lack of innovation (refreshing) in most PVE combat systems. All PVE combat systems are pretty similar, most of them were fleshed out years before graphical mmo's were even around. You can see the contrast between combat and crafting systems in graphical mmos and notice that there has been far more innovation with crafting systems because they haven't been around as long as their counterparts. Renkai and ho's are a decent start for new innovative concepts in combat systems and I believe Vanguard will take it a step further because players will be able to attack certain body parts. It will make the system more chess like (strategy) if implemented correctly, and I think that's a step in the right direction. I would also like too see more 'reactive' combat than active.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’m not so much miffed about not being able to interact with the environment, i.e. kick around a cola can or stampede on some plants. Rather, I want to be able to interact with the environment where by I can directly affect another player’s game play. I want to have the possibility of building a wall that cuts entire regions in half, and then charge people for crossing over, for example.

But yeah, that’s a gameplay style whereby I can directly affect another persons fun, and as such, seems to be a big no no.


-------
unbeliever
www.mmodig.com

January 18, 2005 at 7:42 PM  
Blogger Matt W. said...

Sounds like you want to be the designer more than the player. Or do you want all players to have that type of interaction?

I always loved the bonewall (sounds kinky) spell in Diablo 2. Even when you could actually farm the walls for items, it was different and that type of interaction between the environment and other players kicked ass.

January 19, 2005 at 12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

conjunctions possesses appeals diffusion unzipping changeover crystal norm prompts smith expedited
lolikneri havaqatsu

February 8, 2010 at 4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home