Thursday, February 17, 2005

No Love for the Smed: Anon Insider Speaks Out

Came across this gem over at n3rfed, nice job on the reporting Cosmik. Hardcore mother fucker is on the BALL, now change those craptastic colors where I don't feel like taking a shit everytime I see your blog and it will be happy times for everyone.

I'm not sure if our Anon friend even works for SOE, or did in the past, probably did or does in some capacity, sure as hell sounds like it, but I have to give them a lot of credit for actually writing this letter, even in anonymity they take a huge risk, you never know what narcs that might recognize you and turn your ass in. This only confirms my assumption that there are jaded developers that think Smedley is a complete and utter fuckwad.

One of my earlier responses to the Smed Memo:

"I wouldn't be surprised if you had some jaded developers that don't like working for you, but do anyway so they can keep on making a living, Good job."

Few quotes that really stoodout for me in the Anon response:

"So, when Smedley says “they keep us honest”, what he’s really saying is, “they are kicking our asses so badly that the Sony mothership is asking what the hell is going on, and my team is sending resumes to Blizzard.”

“I at least want to start this dialogue and stir the pot a little. We’re very interested in your ideas about where things go from here.”

Translation: “We have no clue what our creative vision is going to be (don’t we have a CCO named Koster around here somewhere?) and we might want to take the temperature of our users to dictate our direction… oh, that’s called design by committee, and policy-making by polls. Doesn’t that substitute for vision?”

Me 1, Developers 1, Smed 0.

And on a final note, I will leave you with something that I coined longed ago. A term, I recently shared on the VG forums when someone brought up the shitfest that was the Shadows of Luclin expansion. And that term is pulling a Smedley, a Smedley is when the playerbase goes ahead and does the testing on content that should of never been released and was pushed-out early because money corrupts the design process.

-Krones

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know you like the colors. It puts you in the MMORPG mood. Feels the same way as you do when you're camping a frickin' 6 hour spawn.

:)

- Cosmik

February 17, 2005 at 3:39 AM  
Blogger Matt W. said...

This is true, I still think you and Ubiq have some conspiracy going on with subliminal messages corrupting the jaded even more!

-Krones

February 17, 2005 at 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home